Writing just happened. Looking back, writing was always in my veins. When my post-graduate supervisor, Professor Kramer, would to say, “Your papers are very well written”, I didn’t think anything of it. A few years later, writing became my career.
I have written on themes from outdoor and sport-related content to data warehousing and sectional title issues.
- Scientific papers (cell and developmental biology)
- Voice-over scripts (for Drifter Adventure Zone on Supersport)
- Personal blog on running, orienteering, adventure racing (over 1,100 posts!)
- Blog content for clients
- Website content – news stories for http://www.AR.co.za and FEAT (www.featsa.co.za) (hundreds and hundreds of posts)
- Newspaper articles
- Newsletters – hundreds of them!
- Product specifications and descriptions
- Product reviews
- Magazine columns (for GoMulti and Runner’s World SA magazines)
- Magazine features
- Gear Editor for Runner’s World SA
- Magazine supplements – for Runner’s World as well as the running section of the Men’s Health Buyer’s Guide
- Book co-author with Jacques Marais of ‘Adventure Racing‘
- Content contributor for Jacques Marais’ book, ‘Trail Runner’s Guide‘
- Book content for Wouter Kingma’s large-format, coffee-table book, ‘2008 Abu Dhabi Adventure Race’
- Event reporting – website content and media releases in the role as media director of the event and visiting media
- Media releases – products, events, athletes and brands
- Website editor and designer (I am proficient in HTML, CSS and WordPress)
Lisa de Speville holds a degree in Genetics and Zoology and a post-graduate degree in Medical Cell Biology. Her participation in and passion for running and adventure lured her away from the lab and into the realm of outdoor journalism and media.
Her love for running and adventure shows in her work. She is the owner and editor of the adventure racing website, www.AR.co.za as well as the expedition and adventure talks website, FEAT. She co-authored the book, “Adventure Racing” and contributed to “Trail Runner’s Guide”. Lisa has written supplements for Runner’s World (South Africa) and Men’s Health (South Africa) magazines, and was a regular columnist for Go Multi magazine and Runner’s World (SA) magazine. She also held a Gear Editor position at Runner’s World (South Africa). Her articles have also featured in the magazines Shape, Cosmopolitan, Good Taste, Intrepid Explorer and Ironman magazines.
From co-authoring the book ‘Adventure Racing’, to compiling magazine supplements, editing websites, blogging, writing news stories, media releases, and feature articles, Lisa approaches every project with enthusiasm to create clear communication and informative content.